Issue: While trying to open a file in a document library the user is getting the below error.
- Verify the default location of .asd files. To do this, follow these steps:
a. Start Word 2007.
b. Click the Office Button, and then click Word Options.
c. Click Save, note the default path of .asd files that is mentioned in the AutoRecover file location box, and then click OK.
- In Windows Vista, the default location for .asd files is as follows:
- In Windows XP, the default location for .asd files is as follows:
%Systemdrive%:\Documents and Settings\User_name\Application Data\Microsoft\Word
Note The %Systemdrive% placeholder specifies the letter of the drive that contains Windows. By default, this is drive C. The User_name placeholder specifies the user account name that you used to log on to the computer.
Exit Word 2007.
- Rename the .docx file that you are trying to open so that the file has the .asd extension. For example, if the name of the file is test.docx, rename the file as test.asd.
- Copy the file that you renamed, and then paste the file to the default location for .asd files. This is the location that you determined in step 1.
- Start Word 2007.
- Click the Office Button, and then click Open.
- In the All Word Documents list, click All Files.
- Locate and then click the file that you copied in step 3. Then, click Open.
- Click the Office Button, and then click Save As.
- Select the location in which you want to save the file, type the file name in the File name box, click Word Document in the Save as type list, and then click Save.